Sunday, July 29, 2007

The Legend of MARCO... ... SCUTARO


This legend began on the day that baseball celebrated a #42 ( Jackie Robinson) and the Oakland A's humiliated another ( Mariano Rivera). On that fateful day Marco, 1-20 on the season to that point, stepped up to the plate to face Mariano Rivera, "the greatest closer of all time". A veritable David vs. Goliath, a meatball sub vs Roger Clemens, a pack of Big Red vs. Tito.

Before the dramatic blow was struck, Kelly claimed that were she an A's fan she couldn't resist the urge to chant Marco!! Scutaro!! ( to the theme music of Marco Polo) at the games. The diminutive A's utility infielder proceeded smash a two out 3 run HR off Fruitbat, which was followed by a round of Kelly's suggested mantra, and the legend was born.

A legend takes time to cultivate though and the next appearance was just as astonishing. During the "Doc Halladay should choke the shit out of John Gibbons" game, Alex Cora came up in the 9th inning with a man on and the Sox down by 1. I, candaon, proclaimed MARCO... which was quickly followed by Dover's ... SCUTARO, inspiring Alex to triple in the tying run. Alex was then driven in by a Coco Crisp sacrifice fly.

This warriors cry can be heard during the 9th inning of Red Sox and MFY games alike.

... and the legend of MARCO... ... SCUTARO grows.

Go to the comments section to see how we came oh so close to an embarrassing tradition, involving a favored poster.

16 comments:

candaon said...

Tom, you just missed out on becoming the inspirational mantra for ninth innings.

I actually think you calling Tom a douche was the charm. << Nancy. ;)

Ted D said...

Nice job c: writing down the legend of Marco needed to be done.

Congratulations son.

Signed,

Coach.

HorshamScouse said...

Good job, Candaon, but what does //Go to the jump// mean?
Which jump?
Or am I being thick (I notice Ted didn't ask:))

HorshamScouse said...

I was being thick.

candaon said...

Guess it's not technically a "jump", HS, but screw it.

hayes said...

Nice job!!!

Tex said...

I always feel like I playing with my neighborhood gang on sg

Nancy said...

I have no recollection of calling Mr. Miles a douche.


However, I have no doubt he probably deserved it.

candaon said...

You didn't Nancy. I said to him, Douche ( with ampersand), and you made the comment following the end of the hysterics. April 15 was the day of the game. It was funny.

Tom Miles said...

It's an aigu, C.

April 15th was also the day hayes revealed that she worked for Callaway, causing our author to wet hisself.

Tex said...

i SO want to comment on Tom's post...but will hold myself back

hayes said...

I thought he just fainted...

HorshamScouse said...

Douché. There's ten minutes I'll never get back.

kkronc said...

damn this shit always cracks me up. nice to catch up on some stuff though I don't think I ever would have learned, otherwise.
Cool!

Redbeard76 said...

That's quite the enormous kiwi, HS!

HorshamScouse said...

'Kin ginormous for a kiwi, Redbeard. The real ones are about the size of a football (soccer ball) and have feathers like fur (or fur like feathers, depending on your point of view.)